Stay tuned for info on our next meeting.
User Assistance Tools Survey
The annual User Assistance Tools Survey is now in progress.
The survey is designed to give you information drawn specifically from the user assistance community. Please consider contributing your experiences. Results will be publicly available on the WritersUA site.
Joe Welinske Webinar
TOUCH, VOICE AND GESTURES:
For those who missed it, have no fear, click here!
How to Craft Your User Assistance to Accommodate a Variety of Interaction Types.
Job Posting Archives
Here are some of the past job postings we've had:
Topic & Speaker
Nikki Whitman | IT Recruiter
T 916.859.3210 | nwhitman@TEKsystems.com
888.891.8457 | F 916.859.3330
Duration: 3 month contract – with potential for extension, but depends on workload
At least 2-3 years of experience if not more, a breath of experience that would be great.
Writer will use some of the documentation we would look to create would be high level overviews of the general roles, how the teams work tighter, how support and implementation are structured, interviewing within the different departments and roles within the organization and document that in an overview and then get into standard operation process and procedures. The documents they have now are not suited for the department in whole and are a mix-match from the corporate, etc so this person would be standardizing the documentation and task lists for documentation, etc. They will be editing current documents and making new ones where there is a need. Help us actually write and lead the development of our documentation within the organization, build out standard operating procedures, determine structure for SOPs not necessarily manuals but maybe task lists or check lists, help pull together the commonalities of the different tasks and processes we have within the organization.
Task levels-step 1-2-3-4 that is content we can write, we need someone to edit those to make those are consistent voice and tone, overall department and organizationally operating procedures that are pretty sound.
Why is this open: A current need within the organization to update processes, a lot of growth within the department, have a solid base for training perspective and on boarding perspective, as well as for auditing.
Top Three Skills:
Adobe Photo Shop
This person will be doing both pre and post sales support. They will be doing 50% proposal writing and 50% content management. This consist of user documentation, help guides and product information. The other 50% of their time will be proposal writing. This is a fast past environment with tight deadlines. Each person could have 3-4 projects running at a time. Everything they do needs to get sighted off by the VP so attention to detail is critical. They will be responsible for proof reading documents compiling the information and putting in a PDF file. They will work with Project Managers and the QA team to document all changes.
3 people on team. Tons of work and fast deadlines. Each person has several projects they are working on at a time..
Experience working on large scale and complex technical RFP’s is critical
This location has 200 people on site with 50 people in IT. Because their product is sold to the DOJ they work under tight deadlines.
This a very fast-paced work environment, so must be capable of functioning within such a work environment. The TP must be capable of hitting the ground running.
Face recognition software for Law Enforcement Agencies across the county. Not only do their existing customers want to test this new product they have received an access of new business/clients. If they don’t fulfill the business they will lose money and customers will go elsewhere.
Great company, contract to perm, nice working environment, cutting edge technology, work life balance.
Position: Technical Writer
Location: Sacramento, CA
Terms: Contract, 6 months with possible extension, M-F 8am-5pm
Compensation: Competitive, depending on experience
• Drafting standard operating procedures
• Documentation needed for on-boarding staff quickly by having documented information that will be used to help train new staff.
• Researches technical information including test specifications and interviews with subject matter experts.
• Guides the technical review of product documentation and ensures compliance. Develops, recommends and implements technical documentation process and policy changes.
• Must have excellent communication and collaborative teamwork skills; proficiency in Word and Excel, experience in MS Project preferred.
University Enterprises, Inc. Sacramento State
Office of Water Programs
Job Description Summary:
This position edits book-length manuscripts of training manuals, exams, and instructor guides as well as technical reports and research material written by engineers specializing in environmental and water resources issues. Each training manual serves as the curriculum for one of more than 20 print and online correspondence courses designed to train water and wastewater treatment plant operators in the US, Canada, and internationally.
Application deadline is 5/16/2014.
Click here for more info.
Marissa Shelton, Recruiting Specialist
Express Employment Professionals
1500 River Park Drive, Ste. 109
Sacramento, CA 95815
If you meet the requirements of this position, please complete the online application at www.exprsspros.com, and submit your application to the Sacramento North West office.
Also, please email your resume to SacramentoNWCA@expresspros.com
||Technical Writer / Document Control Specialist
The individual selected for this position will work with members of Corporate, Legal, Risk Management, Human Resources, and the Asphalt Division’s administrative assistants, business unit management teams, senior managers, customer/contractors, legal department outside counsel, terminal management, and mid-to-senior level unit leaders to meet or exceed the four (4) primary functions listed below:
1. Perform contract documentation activities with moderate to high risk to the business.
2. Maintain controlled documentation with moderate risk to the business.
3. Collect, maintain, and present statistical and recorded safety data used in support of the Division’s Key Performance Indicators
4. Evaluate and develop, in partnership with other team members, formal approaches to data and content accuracy, presentation, and interpretation to ensure its usefulness for operational users.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Review complex solicitations and prepare specialized and/or non-routine response for proposals and contract modifications.
Analyze significant and/or unique contract requirements, special provisions, and terms and conditions to ensure compliance with appropriate laws, regulations, corporate policies, and Division procedures and communicates results.
Provide guidance to internal business teams on corporate goals and objectives relating to contracts, risk management, and standard operating procedure activities and oversee and/or prepare periodic reports that support decision-making.
Serves as focal point for all communication with law, finance, and business team for resolution of contract issues and disputes. Assists in identification, development, and implementation of new contract policies and processes.
Has an understanding of strategic goals of the organization, serves as an advocate for documenting Corporate policies and procedures clearly and concisely, understands the business case for procedure standardization, records retention, risk management, and has an appreciation of financial/analytical issues and profit and loss implications.
Background in technical writing is desired.
Company requires the pass of drug and background screen.
Position may require some travel, especially during the initial training.
Position will require the employee to have a company issued cell phone, in order to address some after-hours calls.
This position has a standard schedule of Monday-Friday, with the occasional after normal business hours phone call.
Hourly pay rate is starting at $15/hour, DOE.
Blue Shield, El Dorado Hills
Blue Shield has an immediate need for a Technical Writer (Intermediate). Contract to hire, El Dorado Hills, Ca. Salary is ~$30/hr. If you are interested or know someone who is please contact me ASAP, thank you.
Author internal user documentation for the Medical Management Department.
- Gathers information for and develops complex internal user documentation in accordance with established standards.
- Assists in identifying processes, procedures, and tasks requiring documentation development or revision in support of company and department initiatives/programs.
- Maintains detailed records related to assigned document requests.
- Follows established maintenance guidelines to ensure soundness of document files and records.
- Functions independently with general oversight and direction within parameters provided.
- Applies initiative and independent judgment to resolve non-routine problems.
- May provide documentation training support.
May assist with the development and/or enhancement of internal tools used for resource planning and status tracking.
- Strong knowledge of technical writing discipline as demonstrated by work experience coupled with either certification or degree.
- Uses concepts and abilities as well as internal guidelines and tools to complete assignments and solve problems ranging from routine to complex.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and lead documentation efforts with various individuals and groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Advanced proficiency with a variety of software applications: Word, Excel/Access, Visio, and Adobe Acrobat Standard
- Information Mapping and Access experience preferred.
Click here for Monster link...
About the Job
POSITION SUMMARY: ADASHI Systems, the leading software for emergency management, is seeking a Mid-Level Technical Writer to develop the technical and functional documentation/content for the ADASHI Software products. As ADASHI’s Mid-Level Technical Writer, you will provide support to our team by understanding our customers (emergency responders and 911 emergency management centers) and how they use our software.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Individually develop and update technical documentation/content adhering to accuracy and quality of content, organization, language, format consistency, and conformance with established standards and applicable requirements
- Develop classroom curriculum for train-the-trainer style transfer of knowledge.
- May be responsible for coordinating the display of graphics and the production of documents.
- Develop and update online Help and XML-single source content for product suite.
- Develop help-desk documentation.
- Produce content in desktop publishing, online help, and multi-media formats.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Research and evaluate new documentation tools and methods.
- Other tasks and responsibilities, as assigned by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Technical Communications, Computer Science or related field with an emphasis on technical documentation, and two years’ work experience. An equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- High level of expertise in Adobe (Acrobat and Photoshop), Microsoft (Office, PowerPoint and Visio). Experience in MadCap Flare is a plus.
- Advanced capabilities in screen capture and graphics modification software.
- Experience with writing technical documentation, web page copy, knowledgebase articles, etc. and/or a working knowledge of Enterprise Content Management
- Proven ability to self-edit work effectively as well as to write clear, concise and comprehensive documentation on complex, multi-level technical issues, including storyboard creation and development
- Excellent organization, strong written/verbal communications and writing styles with an eye for detail.
- Ability to grasp complex software, learn quickly and meet critical deadlines.
Travel may be required.
ADASHI is the leading developer of software for emergency responders. We are fundamentally changing the way first responders use technology to save lives. Our response, command & control software is used by fire departments and international crisis units to arrive fast, assess the situation, and maneuver efficiently. Our software is being used by leading departments in all 50 states and overseas and we are growing fast.
ADASHI has been lauded by Digital Cities and others as a technology that drives good government systems. We are a dynamic, entrepreneurial firm looking for great people to join in our passion for responding to emergencies.
The Mosaic Company
Additional Contact Info:
Jill Howard, Recruiter:
Technical Writer - Sacramento
The Mosaic Company works closely with each client to analyze specific business needs, corporate culture, infrastructure, and performance gaps before designing and developing an advanced, custom, performance-improving training solution. Our services include consulting, development of e-learning, blended learning, instructor-led training, simulations/animations, and applications. Our expertise in instructional design and content development allows us to specifically tailor programs to our clients\' specifications.
We are looking for an experienced Technical Writer who can take complex technical information and communicate it in a clear, concise and accurate manner. The ideal candidate for this position is a self-starting, well-organized individual with a strong editing and writing background.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
•Create, develop, and produce technical documentation from existing materials and new content through subject-matter-expert interviews.
•Edit highly technical procedures for style without altering content\'s meaning.
•Verify that all materials developed adhere to company style guide and standardized template.
•Leverage a strong understanding of the principles and rules for constructing sentences in active voice.
•Work with client on subject matters including but not limited to basic mechanical engineering concepts and principals.
•Accountable: consistently able to deliver high-quality products in an accurate and timely manner based on the parameters provided.
•Adaptable: able to learn quickly, communicate clearly, and enjoy working with complex technology.
•Desired background includes a Bachelor\'s degree in Technical Writing, English, Journalism, Engineering, or related field, and at least 3-5 years experience as a Technical Writer.
•Strong command over the English language and understanding of procedure writing.
•Advanced experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Macros for Word).
•Good planning, organizational, and time management skills.
**EXPERIENCE WITH AGILE ENVIRONMENT/PREVIOUS PROJECTS HIGHLY DESIRED
8950 Cal Center Dr.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Business Process Improvement Technicial Writer (Contractor/Temporary)!
Successful candidates will possess the following:
Experience in writing for business process improvement (BPI) initiatives.
Must be skilled in reviewing existing BPI artifacts and deliverables such as SIPOCs, process swim lanes, RACIs, policies and procedures, and translating these into appropriate written, user-friendly deliverables.
Technical writing could include research, interviews with subject experts and project management, site visits etc., resulting in the creation of the appropriate deliverable.
Must be well versed in designing and creating the appropriate storage and retrieval structures, in particular web-based access for different classes of users.
At least 10 years experience in this area is desirable.
Our Organization, N.A. is a fast-growing California community bank that provides personalized service and a full array of quality products to individuals, businesses, organizations and agricultural clients. With nearly 120 retail branches, we serve the needs of communities from Redding to the Imperial Valley through a regional structure that promotes local decision making and active community involvement by our employees. The bank has more than $11 billion in assets with over 1,800 employees.
Sr. Placement Manager
Experis IT formerly COMSYS
3101 Zinfandel Dr., Suite 240
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Tel: (916) 638-6255
NEW PROJECT CONTRACT position opportunity for a candidate with solid experience conducting requirements gathering, analysis and writing RFP/RFP processes. All candidates must have prior proposal development/writing experience.
Please respond directly via email for further information and/or immediate consideration. If you are not available for this position opportunity, please let me know if you are able to refer someone.
3101 Zinfandel Dr. #240
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
+1 916 638 6261
+1 916 638 6201
+1 916 524 6673
Technical Writer: 6 month contract (position may possibly be extended based on business needs), Folsom, Ca and the salary is $16-20/hr.
The Online Content and Communications team within Workforce Development Group is responsible for the maintaining the integrity of all InfoManager (the online reference system for all front-line employees) and InfoCenter (the online reference system for Indirect Agents) content. This position is vital to the daily strategic operation of the business in the Areas and ensures that the latest and greatest content is always available for the fields moment of apply.
The consultant position is responsible for updating, creating and maintaining this reference and performance support content.
Authoring of online content and performance support materials
Input and maintain all topic content into the appropriate categorization including policies, processes, procedures etc. in a concise and timely manner
Author content to align with provided writing guidelines and voice of the customer
Appropriately tag content with metadata to improve content reuse and ensure correct placement within online resources
Work with Product Management team to author various support content with the online resources
Designs content that enables the successful implementation of Verizon initiatives
Participates on core teams in support of developing and drafting online and performance support content
Work directly with Marketing, Customer Service and Sales to ensure correct and accurate product presentation
Responsible for authoring online content and performance support materials for specific projects, programs, pricing, etc.
Partner with cross functional subject matter experts in creation of materials
Capture operational business requirements in written form in a way that is easy to use for the end-user (frontline retail, telesales, customer service, etc)
Design and/or load documents and references into online resources
Create and load needed forms and letters into online resources
Partner cross-functionally with communications team to launch online resources and communications concurrently
General Knowledge Management Support
Proactively identify performance reinforcement needs and process improvement ideas
Participate in online reference tool development, standardization, and enhancement projects
Participate in UAT testing of different Enterprise Content Management and Knowledge Management Application enhancements
Assist team with topic clean-up and other content improvement initiatives
Bachelor's degree and equivalent work experience
2+ years authoring experience in training development or technical writing
Background in knowledge management including understanding of Taxonomy, Metadata, and HTML
Microsoft Suite proficiency
Strong business acumen
2+ years wireless experience
Experience with a Content Management System (such as RedDot or Documentum)
Primary Skill Requirement
Background in knowledge management including understanding of Taxonomy, Metadata, and HTML
3101 Zinfandel Dr. #240
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
+1 916 638 6261
+1 916 638 6201
+1 916 524 6673
Systems Analyst/Programmer with 3-5 years of exp.
6 month contract, Rancho Cordova and the hourly rate is DOE.
Ability to understand business requirements and translate and document then into system requirements.
Ability to document progress and maintain a work schedule and project plan.
Ability to test and documents system functionality, develop user and administrative procedures and guidelines.
Ability to clearly communicate issues, ideas, and recommendations to management.
Ability to work in a team environment and to effectively coordinate and communicate with team members.
Understanding of FMP 8.04v server and FMP 11 client and ability to perform simple to moderate builds and enhancements
Import MS Excel tables, create and modify fields, establish database links, create/define database relationships, create and modify scripts/reports including ability to create required calculations.
Understanding of digital print production and fulfillment preferred
TEKsystems is looking for a Graphic Artist / Graphic Design / Technical Writer to work on a Proposal Graphics Consulting position locally, using Adobe Illustrator to help enhance the aesthetics and preventability of a large proposal document for a client.
This individual will be responsible for altering an already existing graphics, adding graphical content to the Proposal to enhance look-and-feel in accordance with over-arching themes, 'dress-up' the pages to make them more appealing, covert text and data into graphical representation for addition to the Proposal, and just generally enhance the aesthetics of the Proposal document as a whole for presentation to executive decision makers.
This individual will need to utilize their own laptop (client works within a PC environment, not just MAC) and most importantly this individual will need to utilize their own licensed copy of Adobe Illustrator (Client cannot provide it).
This position is slated to last a minimum of 5-6 weeks, with additional extensions possible based on workload and performance. Pay rate is flexible based on experience. They are hoping to interview immediately and begin work within a week. All work is done on-site at the Client in Rancho Cordova. An on-site interview in Sacramento is required for this position, as is a background check (in order to work with sensitive personal data sources for the client).
Please contact Josh Gurin at TEKsystems directly at email@example.com and/or 916-859-3276.
PDC Inc. Engineers
1028 Aurora Drive
Fairbanks, Alaska 99709
Contract opportunity for consultants:
Science Communications Assistance and Consulting
Solicitation Number: G13PS00595
Agency: Department of the Interior
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) is a science organization that provides impartial information on the health of our ecosystems and environments, the natural hazards that threaten us, the natural resources we rely on, the impacts of climate and land-use change, and the core science systems that help us provide timely, relevant, and useable information. USGS is a bureau of the U.S. Department of Interior (DOI). The USGS Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center primarily funded by the Coastal and Marine Geology Program (PCMSC, http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov; CMGP, http://marine.usgs.gov) conducts multidisciplinary scientific research in the coastal and offshore areas of California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii, and other U.S. Pacific Islands, and in other waterways of the United States. This contract concerns science communications relating to the mission and programs of the USGS PCMSC. Contractor shall provide professional science communication and consultation services for the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center, Santa Cruz, CA and its primary funding partner, the Coastal and Marine Geology Program, Reston VA. This activity will help make USGS science activities, processes, and results accessible, understandable, and meaningful to non-scientists, including the public, partners, funders, Congress, and other stakeholders. The contractor will not represent the government in any manner, place, or forum. Contractor will consult, develop, and provide communication methods such as Fact Sheets or other written outreach products, web-pages, photos, podcasts, videos, articles for local, regional, or national media outlets, articles for in-house outreach products such as USGS Sound Waves or DOl Newswave, posters and (or) displays, presentations, or similar products. Topics may include integrated Center research interests, Center capabilities and tools, selected project activities, highlights of research results, human-interest stories, disaster response stories, or similar subjects. Contractor will likely be required to maintain or establish a presence in the Santa Cruz, CA area in order to more effectively interact with PCMSC management, projects, and activites, and have specific experience in science communications with a preference for coastal and marine science specialization. The solicitation process is being conducted under FAR Part 13, Simplified Acquisition Procedures. See solicitation package for full details, the SOW, and the applicable evaluation criteria.
Office: U. S. Geological Survey
Location: USGS - All Offices
Technical Writer in Fairfield, CA for Direct Client.
Title: Technical Writer
Location: Fairfield, CA
Duration: 6 months to 18 months
- 8+ years IT experience
- 5 + years technical writing experience with some business or systems analyst background
- 3+ years’ experience working with Visio in an advance manner to make perform application or network diagramming
- Exposure to Data Mapping/Application Faces a huge plus
- Exposure to Networking/infrastructure nice to have
If you are available and interest in the above opportunity, please reply me back with your updated resume and contact details.
Thanks and Regards,
Intelliswift Software Inc
2201 Walnut Avenue, #180, Fremont, CA 94538
Professional Applications Recruiter
Dita XML, Proposal Writing,
This person will be doing both pre and post sales support. They will be doing 50% proposal writing and 50% content management. This consists of user documentation, help guides and product information. The other 50% of their time will be proposal writing. This is a fast past environment with tight deadlines. Each person could have 3-4 projects running at a time. Everything they do needs to get sighted off by the VP so attention to detail is critical and the ability to interface with both line level individuals and executive level management with equal ease and effectiveness is key. They will be responsible for proof reading documents, compiling the information and putting in a PDF file. They will work with Project Managers and the QA team to document all changes.
DITA is the main tool being used and some experience with it is required, together with some kind of experience with Xmetal. Any ability to navigate through Sharepoint sites is a plus, but not strictly required. Any familiarity with Adobe Photoshop or Framemaker would also be a plus, but again not strictly required.
3 people on team. Tons of work and fast deadlines. Each person has several projects they are working on at a time. Great people and exciting products.
This location has 200 people on site with 50 people in IT. Because their product is sold to the government in some cases and private sector in others, they work under tight deadlines.
1st is with the manager
2nd is with the team
External Customer is either government entities or private entities.
They are expanding their reach into various government entities for the new generation of their software. They are also bringing in new private sector clients. Both are driving the need for helping in putting together the proposals and handling all the content management changes and user documentation that results from those proposals being accepted.
Facial Recognition Software across the county. Existing customers want to test this new product they have received, and they are being given access to multiple new business/clients. If they don’t fulfill the business needs, they will lose money and customers will go elsewhere.
Great company, contract to perm (extremely stable job), nice working environment, **cutting edge technology**, excellent work life balance, high level of coworkers on teams.
Client has won several new contracts across the country. The person that was doing this job had to leave recently, so the team is looking for another person to handle existing as well as new responsibilities.
Click to apply...
(TM)/Rancho Cordova, CA
With general direction, produce end-user technical documentation for existing and new eyecare software programs.
Documentation objectives should support company products and services, reduce customer care calls, and satisfy internal and external client needs.
Essential Functions Produce user-friendly user’s guides, installation instructions, online help, training documents, Web site content, social media content, sales and marketing documentation, customer care documentation, release notes, knowledge base articles, and a wide variety of other documentation.
Ensure project schedules are clearly communicated with project team members. Edit and clarify previously existing technical documentation.
Extract system requirements and write new instructional documents. Advocate on behalf of users to ensure product knowledge, decrease customer care calls, and increase client engagement.
Convert complicated concepts and processes into easy-to-read/understand descriptions and procedures. Innovate and produce forward-thinking documentation and processes.
Typically has the following skills or abilities:
Ability to regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment the in performance of his/her job duties.
Bachelor's Degree in English, Technical Writing, Marketing, Communications, or similar field, or related experience.
Two to three years of experience writing technical documentation Strong writing, editing, communication, presentation, organization, and planning skills Experience using FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Word, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Photoshop, PowerPoint, Excel, Acrobat, OnTime, Confluence, JIRA, Visio, Illustrator, HTML, and Salesforce.com
Experience documenting on-premises and cloud-based systems Knowledge about document design, the elements of style, and usability Experience working using the Scrum framework in an agile work environment.
Ability to analyze audiences and create customized documentation in a fast-paced environment Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing work environments Ability to solve problems, critically think, and work independently to successfully complete assigned projects Ability to learn new programs and tools quickly Understanding of the development process and the writer’s role in this process Strong writing, editing, communication, presentation, organization, and planning skills.
Experience using FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Word, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Photoshop, PowerPoint, Excel, Acrobat, OnTime, Confluence, JIRA, Visio, Illustrator, HTML The information above describes the general nature of the position and serves as a summary of the typical job functions, It's not a comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, or duties. We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Technical Writer Support
This is a 6-month contract with the CA Department of Public Health.
Deadline to submit is
Wednesday, April 17th.
The California of Department of Public Health (CDPH), Information Technology Services Department (ITSD), Data Center Operations and Services Branch (DSOSB) requires a consultant for a duration of six (6) months who can work with CDPH staff to construct technical papers and training modules for the Emergency Operations Centers (EOCs) located in Sacramento - Medical Health Coordination Center (MHCC) and Richmond – Richmond Campus Coordination Center (RCCC), and the Receipt Stage and Store (RSS) Warehouses. The consultant should have a working knowledge of audio/visual systems and their interactive functions; knowledge of operation center infrastructure and methods; as well as PC, Server, Network, and Security expertise.
The goal of the consultant is to work with CDPH staff to develop and deploy technical training manuals for the EOC display systems and other electronic components. The consultant will construct training modules and methodology for training new and existing CDPH Information Technology (IT) staff. The consultant will document in plain laymen’s terms the functions of each of the IT systems within the EOCs for CDPH IT staff usage. Some travel will be required to the RCCC facility.
The consultant must have in-depth practical experience in the following:
- Technical writing (hardware, software, guides, manuals)
- Working with staff to collect information and organizing it to be understood
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills
- Training curriculum and materials development
- The Consultant possesses practical experience in the following:
- Emergency Operation Center functionality
- Audio/Video design and application
- Crestron Video Systems
- Activu Video Systems
- Video Wall Systems
- HP and Dell server hardware configuration;
- Video-conferencing installation and troubleshooting
The consultant(s) shall provide the following deliverables:
- In-depth Display System operations manuals and guidelines. The manuals and guidelines will need to be developed for the MHCC and RCCC. The RCCC has similar but fewer systems than the MHCC. Guide and manuals will be comprehensive to include all IT systems within the Operations Centers and Field Deployments.
- MHCC - Display system administration guide/manual
- MHCC - Display system troubleshooting Guide
- MHCC - Display system Operational Readiness guide
- RCCC - Display system administration guide/manual
- RCCC - Display system troubleshooting Guide
- RCCC - Display system Operational Readiness guide
- Training Modules for CDPH staff that will encompass all IT systems within the MHCC, RCCC and SNS deployments. These modules will be segregated into end user training and administration training.
- Display System Operation
- Display System Troubleshooting
- Display System Maintenance and Repair
- Activation Procedures
- RSS/SNS Field Deployment Procedures
- HF and 2-Meter Radio installation and troubleshooting
- Other training modules as required
The manuals and guidelines and training modules will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Crestron Audio Video System
- Activu Video Display System
- Tandberg VTC system
- Network Topology
- PC, Server and Printer configurations
- RSS/SNS Server Setup and VSAT deployment
- Satellite Phone Usage
- HF and 2-Meter Radio usage
- Other technical writing needs as required
- Progress Reports and Meetings
- Activities completed in the reporting period, activities anticipated in the next reporting period, risks and barriers, recommended strategies to overcome identified risks and barriers as well as status of deliverables.
- Schedule and attend meetings for the design and development of the manuals, guidelines and training materials.
Recruiting Account Manager, Professional Services
Location: Sacramento, CA
. Analyze XML and XHTML data files for problems affecting the applications
. Prepare clear, concise bug reports for other programmers and content owners
. Use version control (Tortoise SVN), automated builds (Cruise Control), and review process (Code Collaborator)
. Some networking knowledge helpful (Windows Server 2003/2008)
. Learn quickly and adapt to frequent changes in dynamic work environment
. Write scripts and utility programs needed to update and maintain the BSpec.
. Create BSpec NDA specifications and update supplements, interface with Team Apple Rep, and answer queries.
. Develop web pages and update web pages.
. Troubleshoot preproduction and production environment build and tool processing failures.
. Troubleshoot processing failures in Cruise Control and Flare.
. Assist in maintaining project and IP tagging.
. Maintain and build Writer's Group Servers and keep them operational.
. Produce build and server metrics and reports.
. Diagram and maintain equipment configurations for the Writer's Group.
. Develop qualification checklist and Test Plans for tools candidates to determine readiness for the BSpec production environment.
Must Have skills:
Technical writing/documentation experience, editing/writing experience, some Java scripting
. Extensive HTML/CSS and XML (troubleshooting, editing, creating, etc)
. Experience writing and troubleshooting MS DOS batch (.bat) & Ruby scripts.
. Extensive experience using command line (Windows/Linux) tools.
. Extensive experience working with technologies such as Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Server 2003/2008, Remote Desktop/Terminal Services, IIS, Apache, Active Directory, etc.
. Prior experience debugging and testing web and/or standalone applications.
. Prior experience with 'single source' documentation tools such as MadCap Flare, Robohelp.
. Must be proficient using the entire Microsoft Office 2010 Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc)
. Prior experience with version control software (SVN) in relation to documentation projects.
. Experience writing software qualification test plans.
Nice to have skills:
RoboHelp, Anacapa, Flare. Web Development, C# or C++
T: +1 408 566 4335
F: +1 408 566 4302
C: +1 408 497 8400
Experis Engineering is seeking a Technical Writer. The ideal candidate will within a global team of product development personnel to document and release Technical Specifications, Procedures, and Product Manuals. The successful candidate will contribute broadly to the Product Development team; with focused contribution on documentation for hard-disk drive (HDD) related products. As a member of the team you will be involved in interacting with various technical teams and program management while documenting products as they move through development to customer release. The successful candidate must excel in a multi-cultural, high-energy, focused team environment, and must be able to clarify input to generate high quality documents. This is a contract position that will begin as a 20 hour+ role in South San Jose, CA.
A strong sense of shared responsibility and ownership is required, with the ability to interact with teams in remote locations.
Work from templates to create end user product documentation and manuals.
Document processes and procedures on request
Identify, collect appropriate input, and correct discrepancies found during the course of editing documents
AA/BS Degree in a technical field or 5+ years of equivalent experience
Demonstrated writing and grammar skills in a technical format
Knowledge of PCs and use of MS Office Applications
Excellent communication capability by phone and e-mail Adobe Framemaker skills a plus
Please send resume (word or PDF format) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
Please mention that you found the listing on STC Sacramento Metro.
No agency/recruiter applications please.
||Multiple Openings for writers with:
- XML Experience
and Network Security
- Hardware and Software documentation, Networking, Switching, Routing, Wireless or combo thereof
Bard is looking immediately to fill a number of positions with writers who have XML experience and network security knowledge and experience in at least some of the following areas:
- Cloud/Network security
- Email/Web security
- Security policies
- Intrusion prevention
- Mobile device management
- VPN management
On a separate requirement: Bard is looking for multiple writers with experience doing hardware and software documentation, ideally in networking (switching, routing, wireless, or combination), with an emphasis on data center switching and network management. XML experience will be a definite plus. There is also a desire for at least a couple of writers with writing for mobile use or video-creation experience.
Obviously not everyone will have all this experience, but a successful applicant will have some of it.
- The writing will be done using FrameMaker and or XML (client-provided).
- The client will be doing the writer selection (Bard will pass the qualified names/resumes to them).
- The client is a major player in the networking world and is looking at this being a long-term contract opportunity, running through at least 2013. The usual contract is six months.
- There is currently no requirement for the writers to be on-site, so non-US applications are welcome, provided they meet the other requirements.
- Writers will start as US 1099 contractors; Bard is examining the option of making a W2-contract available later in 2013
Send resumes to:
Writer - Marketing Communications
Arcus Communications is looking for a marketing communications copywriter for a three-month contract.
- Writing white papers, brochures, data sheets, and web copy. You may be asked to assist with additional writing projects, when needed.
- Communicating with the team about common problems to help make every piece of content better.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or a related field
- 4-6 years of advertising or marketing copywriting experience
- Ability to distill significant amounts of messaging into succinct body copy and consumer communications
- Organized and detail-oriented with strong project management skills
Contractor can work remotely
ECORP Consulting, Inc.
Submit applications to:
ECORP Consulting, Inc. is seeking a full-time technical editor.
- Proof-reading of technical, scientific, and business development documents related to environmental compliance (e.g., biological assessments, cultural resources survey reports, CEQA/NEPA documents, and proposals, among others)
- Tracking changes using Microsoft Word to check and correct grammatical, spelling, punctuation, format inconsistencies, tables of contents, bibliographies, consistencies between text and related graphics, and overall format and style.
- Ensuring that documents are consistent in voice and clarity, and flow well.
- Where applicable, ensuring that documents meet government agency-specific formats (e.g., Caltrans, US Army Corps of Engineers).
- Assisting in the development and implementation of a standardized style guide, which includes document review protocols, procedures, templates, and formats.
- Training and development of junior staff
- Responsible for ensuring that assigned tasks are completed on time and within budget.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Successful candidate will have the following required qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, or closely related field
- At least 2 to 5 years of technical editing experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- A demonstrated ability to work well in a budget- and deadline-driven environment
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat)
- Expert knowledge of grammar, usage, and style
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work well with technical staff, and to interface with coworkers and clients in a professional and ethical manner
- Must be self-motivated and possess the ability to work independently, with the willingness to follow up on problems and identify issues
In addition, the following qualifications, characteristics, and experience are strongly preferred:
- Experience in one or more of the following fields: Environmental regulatory compliance, biology, cultural resources, CEQA/NEPA, hydrology, restoration, or a related field
- Experience working for environmental consulting or architectural/engineering firms
This position will be based out of our corporate headquarters in Rocklin, near Sacramento, California.
Please send your resume including salary history, at least three professional references, and a technical editing sample work product. Qualified applicants should send this information to email@example.com.
2942 N. 24th Street, Suite 114
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Office : 602-285-1422
Technical Communications Director, (Carson City, NV – Reno/Tahoe region)
Growing International Manufacturing Company. Founded in 1969 by a group of scientists and engineers to design and manufacture high technology products for the motion picture, computer, and health care industries.
JOB SUMMARY: Develop and manage a team responsible for creating and maintaining corporate image and brand identity consistent with the company’s strategic goals across all communications platforms globally, including: technical publications, training guides, internal documents, customer support resources, and all marketing materials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Develop a strong command of the COMPANY’S product line and customer requirements across multiple industries.
- Work with senior management to develop a plan to ensure a strong corporate image and branding consistency throughout the company.
- Develop a team that can produce the technical and business collateral necessary to meet Company’s communications needs worldwide.
- Utilize analytics to develop effective benefit statements, case studies, and applications guides for the product line across multiple industries and communications platforms, including all social media platforms.
- Develop and provide training for employees, especially in the sales organization, to understand and deploy those benefits statements.
- Supervises up to three additional employees.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS include the following:
- Exceptional business writing and communications skills
- Strong technical communications experience
- Comfort in engineering and science-focused environments
- Knowledge of graphic design tools, software, and best practices
- Strong international experience and proficiency in other languages and cultures
- Strong interpersonal communications skills and demonstrated success in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage functional teams (internally and with outside agency partners)
- Proven ability to concurrently direct multiple, unrelated projects
- Exceptional attention to editorial and visual design detail
Salary ($90’s + DOE) to include a relocation package.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in communications or related field
- 7-10 years of communications experience in manufacturing or technical product field
- Strong international business and research experience
RF Biocidics, Inc.
830 Eubanks Drive, Suite D
Vacaville, CA 95688
Send resumes to:
Technical Manual Writer (Contract)
Writes, in clear and concise language, such technical documents as procedure manuals, service manuals, and related technical publications concerned with installation, operation, and maintenance of electronic, electrical, mechanical, and other equipment. Includes writing such technical documentation as operational specifications and bulletins. Acquires or verifies knowledge of subject by interviewing appropriate personnel regarding products and services, observing system use, production, referring to blueprints, sketches, engineering drawings and notes, and existing company bulletins, manuals, or similar publications.
• Researches, writes, edits, and proofreads more complex technical data for use in documents or sections of documents such as manuals, procedures and specifications to provide
clients with information regarding technical areas in a less technical style / format.
• Interviews programmers, engineers, developers, and other technical personnel; reads previous documentation and design notes, and uses computer based training or company technical products to gather and research technical information for use in more complex documentation.
• Prepare illustrations, diagrams, graphs, charts, or other appropriate graphic medium for various presentation media as MS Power Point briefing slides, reports, and user manuals, training materials.
• Writing documentation for a Procurement Plan, System Dependency Chart, Change Management Plan, and Quality Assurance Plan.
• Documents will be developed using MS Word, MS Excel, MS Visio and MS PowerPoint. The completed document will be formatted in MS Word.
• Experienced individual, with minimum of 8 years, in writing technical documents.
• Bachelors Degree in English, Journalism, Technical Writing or related field. In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 15 years applicable work experience.
• Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or equipment manufacture.
Safety, Health & Environment:
Must follow safety, health and environment guidelines set forth by the company.
Technical Writer - Contractor
This contract Technical Writer is the resource for the creation of the Hardware Installation Guides for our sensor products. The primary responsibility is writing, gathering information, and managing the creation and update, including edits, for these guides.
•Scope creation of Hardware Installation Guides for undocumented products.
•Gather technical data, usage, and functionality products and processes from Product Marketing, Professional Services and Systems Engineering for use in the guides.
•Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts to illustrate material.
•Manage review/approval for the each guide to meet schedule requirements.
•Use existing documentation and other written material to create the documents.
•Deliver finished Hardware Installation Guides for
•Perform other functions as directed.
Qualifications and Desired Experience
•Prior experience creating Hardware Installation Guides or similar documentation.
•Work evidences excellent written and verbal communication skills.
•Excellent time management, organizational, and project management skills required to autonomously handle projects through to completion.
•Ability to plan and prioritize work assignments and to effectively manage projects and tasks simultaneously.
•Excellent personal relationship skills.
•Advanced experience with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, Visio and Outlook).
•Team player that manages work appropriately, and assists other employees as necessary.
•Exercises sound judgment and utilizes initiative and creativity to identify solutions and solve problems.
•Provides and accepts suggestions and feedback positively.
•Works well independently, and in a timely, organized manner, prioritizing workload and assignments.
Required Education and/or Experience:
•Bachelor\'s degree in technical writing, communications, journalism, English, or similar discipline or equivalent work experience.
•5+ years as a Technical Writer for a software and hardware-based system.
•Highly motivated individual able to grasp complex hardware and learn quickly.
•Demonstrated ability to work within tight deadlines.
•Organized individual with proven successful project management skills and excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
The physical demands needed are: sitting or standing for extended periods of time and dexterity of hands & fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse. May work long hours or weekends in order to meet business deadlines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
STC advances the theory and practice of technical communication across all user abilities and media so that both businesses and customers benefit from safe, appropriate, and effective use of products, information, and services.
Thank you to our sponsors: